Yo Soy...Je Suis...I Am...My Family Call for Art
VSA International Art Program for Children with Disabilities
2018-2019 Theme: Yo soy...Je suis...I am...My Family
In today’s world, families come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and colors. Family can mean close relationships with a wide variety of people who provide love, support, and encouragement. They help shape who we are and provide a foundation for who we will be. What comes to mind when you think of what family means to you? Show us!
Use activities from the VSA Teacher Resource Guides to create pieces for this call for art.
All children with disabilities, grades PreK-12* (ages 3 to 18, or students up to age 22 receiving special education services through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.), from around the world are eligible to submit artwork to this VSA International Art Program. Group projects are accepted so long as all artists are students with disabilities.
Only visual art will be accepted.
Art must be an original work that has been completed within the last year and attributable to the artist or artists.
- 2-D pieces only. Examples include: painting, drawing (charcoal, pen & ink, graphite/ colored pencil, marker, etc.), oil or chalk pastel, mixed media/collage, photography (digital or darkroom)
- 2-D photographs of 3-D work accepted
Artwork on must be one of the following standard sizes:
- 8 in x 10 in (standard for: canvas, photographs)
- 9 in x 12 in (standard for: canvas, construction/drawing paper)
- 11 in x 14 in (standard for: canvas, photographs)
- 12 in x 18 in (standard for: construction/drawing paper)
- 18 in x 24 in (standard for: canvas, construction/drawing paper)
- Submitted paper-based artwork will be matted and framed by VSA
- Submitted canvases must be canvas board or stretched canvas, and may or may not be framed by VSA
Applicants must submit their artwork electronically. By submitting artwork, applicants acknowledge that their artwork may be displayed on an online gallery of artwork and may be selected to be part of the exhibition in Washington, D.C. Any artwork selected for physical display shall become the property of VSA and the Kennedy Center, and may not be returned to the artist.
No slides or hard copy materials will be accepted for this call for entry. Photographs of three-dimensional works are permitted. Applicants must allow enough time to prepare their images to the specifications and finalize the electronic submission process prior to the midnight (EST) deadline of June 5, 2019.
VSA and the Kennedy Center are not responsible for submissions that are incomplete or that fail to upload.
Art selection will be at the discretion of VSA and based on their evaluation of the artwork submitted.
The artist's guardian agrees to allow VSA the right to use their submission for public relations purposes, including broadcast, print, and electronic media.