WNO Opera Institute 2020
WNO Opera Institute at American University
For singers ages 15-18
June 22-July 12, 2020
Application Deadline: Monday, January 20, 2020
This inspiring three-week summer program brings passionate, dedicated young musicians together in the nation's capital to experience opera in a professional and nurturing environment that only a world-class opera company can provide. Aspiring classical singers thrive from WNO Opera Institute's intense and focused curriculum, which prepares students for college performance programs and beyond.
The Kennedy Center welcomes all applicants.
- One Italian art song
- One art song in Italian or any other language
- Selections from the "24 Italian Songs and Arias" book and similar are suggested.
- Selections should be performed from memory
Note: Be sure your audition repertoire meets these requirements. Selections that do not meet requirements, including arias from the standard opera and operetta repertoire and musical theater selections, will not be heard for this audition. Students who do not include at least one art song in Italian will not be given full consideration. If you are not sure if your repertoire choices meet requirements, include a third, alternate selection and/or contact us at email@example.com -- we are here to help.
Students may audition live or via video. Video submissions must be uploaded as part of this application form. Live auditions must be scheduled at https://operainstitute2020.youcanbook.me
- Application form
- Teacher recommendation (Recommendations can be either uploaded as a separate document or by filling out a form online)
- Essay: Answer all questions the following questions briefly (answers should not exceed one typed page): 1) Describe why you want to attend the WNO Opera Institute. 2) Describe how you would benefit from the program. 3) Describe one of your most gratifying experiences as a singer. 4) Explain what areas you feel you need to work on as a singer. 5) Explain your goals for the future, both short-term and long-term.
- Audition (live or video)
- $25 application fee
- Resumé (optional)